June 3, 2014

Bite-Sized Reviews :: Edition Five

I thought I'd do some reviewing of the books I read in the previous six months, that I hadn't posted about. Fun, right? I should warn you that the "bite-sized" reviews will be more like mini bites. I realized I have several books to mention and didn't want to bore you with a huge, long post! I supposed I could have posted about each separately, but that'd take forever. So! This is what you get! :)

205057Secret Society Girl series by Diana Peterfreund - I've been wanting to read this series for quite some time. Secret societies? Are pretty fascinating stuff, it turns out! Amy and Poe had me at hello though. ;)

12267739
17349275A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont - I really wanted to like this one. The premise sounded really fun, but I was barely halfway through and had to force myself to keep going. It had me hooked enough to want to find out what happened, but I couldn't ever really connect with Emma. Her choices and thoughts and how she acted never seemed to add up to someone relatable and real for me. And the insta-love connection? I never did figure out what they saw in each other. It was still an interesting story regardless.

The Pursuit of Mary Bennet by Pamela Mingle - Really liked this one! Ms. Mingle made Mary very likeable and gave her a happy ending. I've always had a soft spot for Mary and finding sequels that give her a good life are hard to find. It was pretty predictable, but that did not lessen my enjoyment! :)

18224923
Princess Ever After by Rachel Hauck - Sigh. I want to be a princess! ;) Definitely enjoyed this one. Not quite as much as Once Upon a Prince, but oh my. It was delightful!

8835379
Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier - Another series I'd been waiting for! I was so excited when the library had all three books. I proceeded to take them home and read them all in one sitting! So much mystery and fun. Loved Gwyneth and Leslie's friendship. Definitely worth the wait.

16101234
The Chocolate Heart by Laura Florand - As delicious and wonderful as her others! If you're a fan of her stories, then you'll enjoy this one as well. :)

15795628
Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson - With mystery and intrigue, and a pretty sigh-worthy romance, Ms. Donaldson has done it again, as they say! SO much sweetness and fun to be found here. Absolutely one to enjoy and reread as the notion arises.




11 comments:

  1. Fun post, Kara. Curious about Diana's books, and of course, I enjoyed Rachel's though as you say, I think I preferred Once Upon a Prince a smidgeon more.

    Funny you should feature A Breath of Eyre in these reviews too. I just finished the last book in the series and much as it built up a good mystery, I just didn't wind up loving the book - save for the ending which defied "normal" and "comfortable," and I do respect that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rissi! I'm certainly excited for more princess stories from Rachel. Can't wait! :)

      A Breath of Eyre was interesting for sure. But it really was very forgettable in the end. I think I may have seen your review of the last book sometime? And that you weren't blown away, which I remember thinking that wasn't surprising since I'd just read this one. Okay, but not great. You do have me curious about how it all ends however!

      Delete
  2. I've only heard of A Breath of Eyre. But Secret Society Girls and Princess Ever After sound really good. I'll have to nose around the library some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's always fun to inspire someone else to journey to the library. I hope you enjoy them, Ashley. And you'll have to let me know what you thought of them sometime! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! Love the idea of mini bite reviews, so cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Giulia! It really is fun! You're welcome to "borrow" the idea. :D

      Delete
  4. I tried "A Breath of Eyre" myself! And made it through about two chapters before I tossed it aside in disappointment.

    "The Pursuit of Mary Bennett" sounds nice! I'll have to see if I can find that one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hamlette! Yeah, I don't blame you in that. I found myself skipping big portions of the story just so I could get to the and find out what happened. And I had such hopes for a cute and fun story! :(

      It is nice! If you like Jane Austen sequels, it's definitely one of the better ones that I've read. And I like how the author makes Mary very likeable and fun. Austen doesn't really flesh her out all that much. Happy reading! :)

      Delete
    2. I picked up "Longbourn" by Jo Baker on a whim at the library yesterday, and I'm entranced by it so far! I'm only like 4 chapters in, but so far it's one of the very best Austen pastiches I've read. Just thought I'd pass that along in case you haven't heard of it yet :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh, it's a retelling of P&P from the perspective of the Bennets' servants. Forgot to mention that.

      Delete
    4. Ooo! I hadn't heard of it! Always happy for more Austen sequel recs. I'll check it out! Thanks bunches! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...