October 1, 2019

Bite-Sized Reviews :: Edition Forty-Nine


Hello, my lovelies! And a shoutout to my awesome #bookbesties and blogging friends. There are a certain few of you who show up in my comment feed around here, even when I don't reciprocate (which is totally not cool of me!) and I am SO extremely grateful for you. You are seen. You are heard. You are loved. (In case you doubted.) THANK YOU. *blows kisses*

And just in case someone else reads my sporadic posts and doesn't comment...I appreciate you too! I hope your September has been life-giving and hope-bringing. Fall is attempting to make itself known around my little hometown, although you wouldn't know it by the heat index... Yet the changing leaves are sweet reminders that cooler weather is coming, so... (Although to be truly honest, I've had a whole year and three months of summer now, so this cooler weather potential is sorta freaking me out. I'm not ready to give up my sandal-wearing yet!!)

Anyhoo! On to reviews...


40539018
I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott
This is such a humorous and engaging sort of read! I literally giggled my way through many descriptions of happenings in Ms. Philpott's life. As a bookish sort just like her, I loved how she connected stories with her life. Most of all, there was simply a whole lot of head nodding going on while I read. Especially regarding her idea that having a "mid-life crisis" is not a one and done thing. Or a stereotypical "mid-life" sort of thing either. Her uncertainties about her own life and what her purpose is were the bits I understood most. And she writes in such a relatable way. Definitely recommend if you're into quirky and wonderful memoirs.



36844806. sy475
Courage, Dear Heart: Letters to a Weary World by Rebecca K. Reynolds
Oh my goodness, this was so good, people! I have so many paragraphs highlighted, sentences that kept making me pause and reread them at least three more times. There is such depth and honesty here. The truth in these pages will hit your heart and remind it to hope again, even midst darkness. "But even in the dark, I can wait for the voice of Christ saying, “Step here. Step here.” I can know that his leading will come because this is the time that has been given to me. He has already provided strong memories to undergird me. He has provided open skies and deep forests full of running water. He has provided good, long paths to walk, lungs to take in morning air, blood that grows delightfully warm with exertion. I have been given bread, and water, and sleep. I have been given honest friends to remind me of truth I forget."


38942590. sy475
Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson
This book is FABULOUS. With brimfuls of booklists and quotes, I don't think you could possibly read it and not immediately want to be a book girl yourself. It's not just the booklists though, it's the joyful way Ms. Clarkson interweaves the wonder of story and how it can change you through every chapter and description. The way it is clearly woven throughout her own life and how she makes you want to be the same. I've always been a book girl, but this little volume arrived in my life at just the exact time I was already thinking how I wanted to expand my reading life. How I wanted to read outside my comfort zone a little more often and search out the truth to be found within pages where I wouldn't have imagined it being. This book spoke so beautifully to that part of my heart and gave courage. Life as a book girl is a wonderful place of being and I loved this honest and joy-filled bit of encouragement.



22880154
The Hundred Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
I confess to choosing this one because I love the movie so much. Of course, as adaptations are wont to do, the movie is nothing like the book. Which disappointed me. I knew there would probably be a lot of differences, but I wasn't expecting such a vast amount. That's not to say this book doesn't have lovely parts, however. The beginning portions, when Hassan is remembering his life in India, I really liked those bits. There is a slight atmospheric quality to those descriptions. Which continues on into the family's life in France. If the book had stopped there, I think I could've loved it more. Unfortunately, the rest of the story felt more...I don't know. Like something was missing, maybe? The heart of the story, for me, was the Haji family and the assortment of people surrounding them, so once Hassan breaks off from the rest things fell a bit flat for me. I did enjoy picturing the actors as their characters, though. And the audiobook narrator was excellent at varying accents, which considering all the ones needed is perfect for this story!




1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...