March 7, 2017

30 Days of Books :: Day 17


And I'm back with another 30 Days post! This time I'm going to be listing my favorite quotes. Talk about having trouble narrowing it down so that I don't overwhelm you guys......!!! I love quotes, in general, but when an author pens a particular phrase or paragraph that speaks to me, I get all squishy inside. Squishy with happiness, of course!

{Again, many thanks to Jenni for idea.}

Day 17: Favorite quote(s) from your favorite book(s)
But Hadley understood. It wasn't that she was meant to read them all. Maybe someday she would, but for now, it was more the gesture itself. He was giving her the most important thing he could, the only way he knew how. He was a professor, a lover of stories, and he was building her a library in the same way other men might build their daughters houses.
~ Jennifer E. Smith - The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
51737
It's all in the view. That's what I mean about forever, too. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You never know for sure, so you'd better make every second count.
~ Sarah Dessen - The Truth About Forever
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in
F. W.
I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.
~ Jane Austen - Persuasion
30363362
"Sophos, you sleep with a knife under your pillow? I'm hurt."
"I'm sorry," said Sounis, afraid that he had made contact with his wild swing.
"I was joking. Wake up the rest of the way, would you?"
"Gen, it's the middle of the night."
"I know," said the king of Attolia.
Sounis tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes. He was sitting up in his bed. The sky was still entirely dark, and he couldn't have been asleep for long. He suspected that he had just dropped off. The bare knife was still in his hand, he realized, and he rooted under his pillow for the sheath.
"Don't you trust my palace security?"
"Yes, of course," Sounis said, trying to think of some other reason besides mistrust to sleep with a knife. He heard Eugenides laugh.
"My queen and I sleep with a matched set under our pillows, as well as handguns in pockets on the bedposts. Don't be embarrassed."
~ Megan Whalen Turner - A Conspiracy of Kings
I was attempting to write the story of my life. It wasn't so much about plot. It was much more about character.
~ David Levithan & Rachel Cohn - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
The song reminded her of grief, of emotions that were simpler as a child, more straightforward, that were now taken and turned into something she was hesitant to touch but could not forget.
~ Beth Brower - The Q
18222556
Home isn't just a house or a city or a place; home is what happens when you're brave enough to love people.
~ Natalie Lloyd - A Snicker of Magic
"You are inclined to get muddled, if I may judge from last night. Let yourself go. Pull out from the depths those thoughts that you do not understand, and spread them out in the sunlight and know the meaning of them."
~ E.M. Forster - A Room With A View
"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."
~L.M. Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables
In the middle of all this, as Sean slips out of his jacket, he looks over his shoulder at me and he smiles at me, just a glancing, faint thing before he turns back to Tommy. I'm quite happy for that smile, because Dad told me once you should be grateful for the gifts that are the rarest.
~ Maggie Stiefvater - The Scorpio Races
2752607
I used to think mercy meant showing kindness to someone who didn't deserve it, as if only the recipient defined the act. The girl in between has learned that mercy is defined by its giver. Our flaws are obvious, yet we are loved and able to love, if we choose, because there is that bit of the divine still smoldering in us.
~ Susan Meissner - The Shape of Mercy
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairytales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it.
~C.S. Lewis - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


2 comments:

  1. Awesome quotes! And, I love that Captain Wentworth's letter made it in your list. Although, how could I surprised? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...