January 19, 2018

First Line Fridays :: Speak Easy, Speak Love


The ladies over at Hoarding Books have been hosting First Line Fridays for quite some time now and I've always thought it would be fun to join in. So! No guarantees of this every single week, but today seemed like a good day to begin! I've been in need of some quick and easy (and fun!) posts to spice up the blog a bit and here we are. :) Check out the other links and maybe we can all add to our TBRs together!

For my very first post, I pondered which book I should choose. I figure it works better when you showcase your current or next read, but as I'm currently not in the middle of anything and I don't have any of my next reads with me right now....well! That means you get the first line from a book I read a while back and don't think it's gotten enough love from me around here. (One of these days I will actually get my review written. Promise! :)

Without further ado... Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George


30640834

Benedick Scott was on his way to freedom or profound failure or, if the usual order of things held up, both.

This story is amazing, friends. It was on my list of top ten from 2017 and if you haven't read it (and like Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare), you should totally check it out! It's set in the Roaring 20s and, seriously, it's way more awesome than I can tell you. Way more! :D




Photo by Patrick Tomasso on Unsplash

22 comments:

  1. Oooo! Sounds good. I hadn’t heard of it till now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaaaaay!!! I'm so glad you joined us!! :D

    And that cover - wow! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie: I know, right?! One of my favorite covers, I think. :) And thanks for the welcome! I haven't ever commented, but I do love this little meme y'all created.

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from Callum's Compass by Sara L. Foust:

    "A persistent knock at the front door dragged Kat Williams awake."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky: Happy Friday to you as well! :) That's a great first line, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. This is the book you told me about on my blog! I need to look into it!

    Also, did you see that I might be hosting an Anne of Green Gables readalong? You should totally join in as I know how much you enjoy participating in readalongs AND how much you love Anne and Gilbert! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: You definitely should! :) And no, I hadn't seen that yet, but THANK YOU for mentioning it. I would love to participate! You know me very well when it comes to read-alongs, don't you? :D

      Delete
  5. PROLOGUE

    Two Years Earlier

    Renee huddled in the garden shed in her pajamas and tried to hear him over the pounding of her heart in her ears. - Beneath Copper Falls by Colleen Coble

    Happy Friday and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl: Happy Friday to you too! That first line is definitely intriguing. Colleen does know how to capture our attention! :)

      Delete
  6. Love your first line! And the cover is amazing.

    Happy Friday!

    Over on my blog, I am featuring Brett Armstrong's novel Destitutio Quod Remissio. It's an interesting read so far. Here I will post the first lines from chapter four of this book.

    "The streets were filled beyond the usual that day, or perhaps it only appeared so to Marcus. The market district was expansive enough to accommodate thousands. Over it looked the tall stone buildings surrounding the huge open Forum that was the city's center for centuries. All of the grand structures were washed white by the noon's radiance and loomed large over the transactions of Rome's citizens."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole: Isn't that cover awesome? I love it! :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to First Line Friday!

    Love that first line! And if it's based on Shakespeare, you know it will have a good plot.

    I’m about to start reading The Boy in the Hoodie, a young adult novel by debut Australian author Catriona McKewon. Here’s the first line:

    Before I met him, there wasn’t much I knew about the boy in the hoodie.He seemed to live above the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to First Line Fridays! I'm a little new to it still, but it's super fun! And, after your praise along with Rachel McMillan's, I know I need to add this to my TBR.

    I'm sharing on my blog about an upcoming book, The Saturday Night Supper Club. Here, I'll post the first line of my current read: Impossible Saints by Clarissa Harwood.

    Ingleford, Surrey: June 1907
    The day her pupil's father threw Lilia Brooke's copy of Homer's Odyssey across the schoolroom was the day she knew she'd have to leave Ingleford.

    Ill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney: YES, you know if Rachel gushes it SO worth reading, right?! :D

      I saw your review for Impossible Saints, and you (and Rachel) intrigued me. Might have to try it soon!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to #FirstLineFridays! We do have a lot of fun with this, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't see this, but it looks awesome! First Line Fridays sounds fun. I might try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: It IS awesome! But then, you knew I'd say that, didn't you? :D

      Delete
  11. CONFESSION: I bought this a couple of months ago based solely on the fangirl gushing from you and Rachel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi: You MUST read it soon then! Because I want to know hear what you think of it! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...