December 12, 2012

A Sparkly Wednesday Hodgepodge (on 12/12/12!)


1.  So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car? 

I'll have to pick the stroll along the beach. My birthday happened to hit a Saturday this year and I decided that surely I could get some friends to do something fun with me that weekend. So four of us went over to the ocean for the day (about a two hour drive, I love that I live so close!). We sat on the beach for a while; they napped, I read; and then we took a walk.

First we had to wait for the tide to go out again so we could go around this rock.


Then we had to pause again so I could snap another photo or ten (I always take dozens of pictures at the ocean, it's just so beautiful). I happened to catch this one just right to get the birds flying!


Once we were around the bend, we happened upon a cave! It didn't go very far in and there was nothing but sand in there. My friend told me to turn around and snap a photo from this angle, so I did and loved the way it turned out. :)


The ocean is so calming, I could sit there for hours just listening to the waves. Definitely one of my favorite places to visit! :)

2.  Are you sending Christmas cards this year?  About how many do you send?  Photo card or something more traditional?  How do you display the cards you receive?

I already sent out my annual Christmas poem. I mailed around 120 of them on Saturday after Thanksgiving. I know if I don't get them out early, it won't happen at all the closer we get to Christmas. I don't display the cards I receive. (I simply don't have the space.) But I do display the pictures I get! On a bulletin board. In January sometime I take down all the pictures from last year and replace them with the new ones. I have no idea how many I receive, but I love receiving every single one of them. It's so fun to see the children growing up and hear how everyone is doing. :)

3. What's a word you've heard too much of in the past week?

How about a phrase? "Knock it off". This is told many, many, many, many times to my roommate's dog. Cody is very mischievous and does not always listen well.

4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan?  Plain or flavored?  Marshmallows or no marshmallows?

I love hot chocolate! Plain please. Chocolate is delish just by itself. I never have marshmallows on hand, so never put them in. But if they're offered at someone else's house, I don't turn them down. 

5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season?

Honestly I don't have much to do, so my Christmas season hasn't really been hectic. I imagine my mother will have things for me to do when I get back there, so you'll have to ask me then. I may feel differently about this question after my trip!

6. Besides jewelry, what's a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet?

 Well, right now the only sort of sparkly thing in my room is the wrapper on the chocolate truffle I got from my Secret Santa. Does that count?

7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol.

Joy to the world, the LORD is come!!!!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I went to a Christmas dinner tonight and was talking about looking forward to going home for Christmas. (My trip is only a couple weeks away!) That made me think about my nieces and nephews and how excited I am to see them all again and to get my required bear hug from each one. I remembered this picture I saw recently.


Totally true! :D


 Toodle-loo kangaroos!

21 comments:

  1. Wow...that's a lot of cards you sent out! I had to cut my list down because of the expense of it all. Plus, it can be very time-consuming. Hope you have a fun and safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cave photos. I think I'd go nuts if I lived 2 hours away from a beach - I've never lived more than 5-10 minute drive from the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 5-10 minute drive sounds nice. But compared to a 7 hour drive where I grew up, 2 hours is perfectly okay with me. :)

      Delete
  3. That is my favorite line of a song too! I don't drink hot chocolate unless it has marshmallows. Thanks for letting me know about National cocoa day--it's also my birthday so I'll be sure to have some chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with chocolate. Especially on your birthday! :D I hope it's an awesome day!

      Delete
  4. Wow...those beach images would truly be a place I'd love to be at this very moment. Marshmallows? You can have my share next time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fine. More marshmallows for me! That's never a bad thing. :) And yes, when I was adding those pictures to my post, I wished I could be there right now myself.

      Delete
  5. Living in Idaho, I am very excited about our move to CA - I've been way too far from the beach! :-) Have a blessed Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for moving closer to the beach! But definitely a major move there, Idaho to CA. Hope all goes well and y'all have a blessed Christmas too! :)

      Delete
  6. Your beach pictures are great. I get my bear hugs from my grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Bear hugs are awesome. Especially from little ones. (Or even from big people too for that matter.) :)

      Delete
  7. LOL - the phrase "knock it off" hits a chord with me too - I have 3 kids!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after living with a puppy for several months, I have decided they are just like toddlers. Into EVERYTHING! lol :D

      Delete
  8. I love the 9 out of 10 kids that get awesomeness from their aunts, thats totally me with my niece & nephew. Also i have pretty cool aunts myself.

    I love the beach pictures, is that in California? Our beaches here aren't safe for swimming and are always cold, windy and gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it is in California. Somewhere south of Half Moon Bay. We just drove til we found a good spot and stopped, so I don't remember the name of the area. And the beaches here are usually cool and windy, but the rocks and cliffs make it very picturesque. :)

      I have some pretty awesome aunts myself, so I agree it goes both ways. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your beach photos. I never get tired of the ocean. My sisters would agree with that statement : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever get tired of the ocean myself. Whether Pacific or Atlantic, I could spend hours and hours there. :)

      Delete
  10. I need to print that out & give to my twin nieces... that's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I knew I needed to save that pic as soon as I saw it. :D

      Delete
  11. You are lucky that you live so close to the ocean! I think we could probably get to Galveston in 5-6 hours but it isn't a pretty beach. South Padre is 10 hours. Sad!!

    I'll have to show that picture with my sister--she's definitely having a lot of fun being an aunt to my daughter and my other sister's daughter. But really I can't wait until she has her own!

    Christmas poem sounds awesome. I have to go address some more cards and I just don't wanna. ;) Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living this close to the ocean. It took 7 or so hours from my parents house. So only 2 hours now is awesome! :)

      I hope you get your cards all done soon. That job is one I have to force myself to do also. That's mainly why I try to get it done as early in December as possible, otherwise I'll put it off so long it won't get done. I'm a great procrastinator! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...