May 14, 2014

Review: A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd

A Snicker of Magic 
Where, oh where to begin with describing this glorious, word-loving story? I could start with our heroine, Felicity. Felicity Pickle is her name and oh how she lives up to such an illustrious designation. I could talk about the Beedle. Did you know Midnight Gulch has its very own Beedle? It's quite a privilege, let me tell you! And I might even mention the Pickled Jalepeno, and dear Frannie Jo, and Jonah. Oh Jonah. He's quite the young gentleman! But nothing I say can compare with the words.

Oh yes! The words. Did I forget to tell you how Ms. Lloyd has lovingly strung together some amazingly "spindiddly" words? Believe me, if you're a word lover of any degree or sort, you will absolutely enjoy the words all springing up everywhere in this story. From "snickerdoodle", to "everlasting", and "wonderstruck" (Or THREADBARE, it deserves all caps you see). Essentially, Felicity sees words. Everywhere! And what she can do with those words makes for a marvelous adventure! :D

Ms. Lloyd has done an incredible job of creating this cast of characters (including the town, which is almost a character itself) in a story that fairly bubbles with magic. Magic of the magician kind, and magic of the imagination kind. I could practically feel myself being swept away into Felicity's world. And what a delightful world it is!

So yes. I highly recommend this story. It's a book that makes me happy just by looking at the cover (which by the by, isn't it wonderful?!). From the first page to the last, it's filled with joy, charm, and comfort. Plus I had fun re-learning the beauty of words. (And studying a thesaurus for this review! ;) If you need reminding as well, make haste to a bookstore (or your ereader) and pick this one up!

A smile stretched full and easy across Boone's face. He sat up taller in his seat and nodded, just once. Affirmative. He believed me.
Craziest thing happened then:
Regret, Has-Been, Idiot, Deadbeat...
I watched every last one of those words pop like bath bubbles and disappear.
My heart kicked hard against me: Yes. Yes. Yes.
Maybe sometimes the words I say are as magical as the words I see.



6 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Kara! This sounds like such a cute and unique story. :) And I LOVE that snippet you shared. ♥ Inspiring and sweet!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! It's really a lovely story. I think you'd definitely enjoy it! Let me know if you ever get a chance to read it. And that quote is only the beginning of wonderfulness to be found inside! ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It certainly is that, Juju! Definitely a lot of sweetness and fun. :)

      Delete
  3. I KNEW you'd reviewed this! But it wasn't on your list of book reviews, and I didn't feel like looking back and back through your archives.

    I loved Boone. He was completely huggable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am SO behind on updating my review lists and other pages. *sigh* I keep thinking I'll get to it and....yeah. Sorry about that, Hamlette!

      Boone is wonderful. (Plus I'm especially fond of his name. ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...