March 15, 2013

Are You a Moody Reader?

btt buttonThis is Thursday's question:

Does your current mood affect your reading? Affect your choices? I know there are plenty of books I enjoy, but only if I'm in a particular kind of mood-or books that can lift me out of a bad mood without fail. Surely I'm not alone?

I'd definitely say a big, huge YES!

My mood absolutely will affect my reading and my choices. I admit that sometimes when I'm grumpy, reading is the farthest thing from my mind. Other times, reading will cheer me up!

And when I'm happy and cheerful already, then reading a great book will just about make me dance! (Although not really, because dancing and me? Yeah, we don't really see eye to eye. Or hand to foot. Or whatever........as in, no coordination at all.)

Still, sometimes it depends on the book itself. The synopsis may sound just up my alley, but it may not be the day for that particular book. I mean, I might pick it up and be unable to get very far because it simply isn't what I'm wanting to read at the moment.

Why? No idea. It just isn't. I've learned that if I can't get into a book that I'm positive that I would normally enjoy, it's best that I put it down and search for something else.

I'll get back to it! But that moment? It simply isn't happening.

Funnily enough, I have a book waiting on my Kindle right this very moment. I really want to read it, but it just isn't working right now. So I'm waiting. Til when? No idea about that either. But someday it will be the right moment and I just know we'll be great friends!

(Okay, I suppose I also have to admit that I know the author. Which is why I'm anxious to read her first published work. So yes, I will read it. Just not today. But hopefully soon!)

Anyway! What about you? Does your mood affect your reading? What are your thoughts, gentle readers?

You know I want to know. I know you know. And you know I know you know. (Yes, I'm doing it again. Answer my questions and I'll stop!)

(Because you know I am just that devious.)

I really want to know! Honest!

(Okay, stopping now. It's late. What can I say?)

Kara's tired and silly,
Hoping you'll give in to her plea.
Comments make her happy!
Answer her and you'll see!

:)

Toodle-loo kangaroos! Don't you just love badly written poetry?

10 comments:

  1. My mood has nothing to do with what I read so no, I'm not a moody reader. I just like to mix things up and read a wide variety of books: non-fiction, historical fiction, contemporary fiction, mystery/thrillers, science fiction/fantasy, romance, inspirational, animal books about sum it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you definitely read a wide variety Karen! I always think I should probably read different stuff occasionally, but then I look at my list of to-reads and decide one of them must be crossed off. :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I'm a very moody reader! In fact, today I stopped reading a book because I had read two gloomy books last week and thought this book would be lighter and brighter, and instead it's even more sad and depressing! I can't take it anymore, so I'm abandoning it (which I don't do lightly) and going to start a nice cheerful murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a moody eater -- if I'm not "in the mood" for a food, I won't enjoy it nearly as much as if I am.

      Delete
    2. I'm totally with you Hamlette! A moody reader and a moody eater! :D I have to be in the right mood for certain books. And I definitely have to be in the right mood for certain foods! If I've got chocolate or some other yummy stuff on hand, I want to happy when I'm eating it. If I'm grumpy, I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

      Delete
    3. Also! I hope your murder mystery was just what you wanted! Although how it can be cheerful I will be waiting to find out from you. ;P

      Delete
    4. Just realized I never responded to this. I find a lot of murder mysteries very cheerful, as they pretty well guarantee that by the end, the villain will be brought to justice. Not so with "literary" novels, where a sad ending is all too possible. So I use the phrase "nice, cheerful murder mystery" a bit tongue-in-cheek, since clearly murder isn't cheerful... but the resolution of a fictional one makes me cheerful.

      Delete
    5. Ah. That makes more sense! I was wondering a bit. About what else you might consider cheerful if you thought murders were. lol But seriously, I do see your point. And resolutions to mysteries are definitely a cheerful thing! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm such a mood reader!
    One I read what I feel like and two if I'm in a good or bad mood it can affect how I Feel and think about the book. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such the same way Alex! If I'm not in the right mood, my opinion of the book may not be a good one. I hadn't thought about that before, but it's actually true. Thanks! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...