March 29, 2013

Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Going Vintage
Going Vintage

About the Book:

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). 

The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous


But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.


My Thoughts:

That was a lot of fun! As a huge fan of Sean Griswold's Head, I've been looking forward to Ms. Leavitt's next book. I'm so glad to tell you how much I enjoyed this one! The premise seems cute and fluffy, and so it is. Yet while the cute is certainly there, there are still undercurrents hovering below that draw you in. Which I really appreciate about Ms. Leavitt's writing. Because, like her previous story, there are bigger issues at hand than just a girl giving up technology. Mallory is  a lovely girl, but she's gotten so wrapped up in Jeremy, she's forgotten that she's an actual person aside from being his girlfriend. What are her hopes and dreams? Who is she really? This is her story of how she finds herself again. And it's not easy, because she makes plenty of mistakes along the way. Yet she has lots of good friends and an awesome sister (Love Ginnie! Seriously, the sister relationship here is wonderful.) who helps remind her to look beyond herself. That was one thing I really enjoyed about her. Mallory may be struggling, but when presented with proof that others are hurting just as she is, she immediately (or at least pretty quickly) wants to help alleviate some of their pain if she's able. She's truly a very likeable and compassionate person, and she doesn't even realize it. But Mallory's not stupid. She makes some mistakes yes, but ultimately she's got a great head on her shoulders and is able to realize that she needs to figure out who she is before she does anything else.  Then Oliver happens. And very unexpectedly I might add! So yes, the romance is adorable and sweet. Oliver knows who he is and doesn't care what others may think of him. Which is just the type of person that Mallory is realizing she'd like to be. Thus each person in her life, Jeremy included, push Mallory ever closer to her goal of going to Homecoming and hopefully figuring out her "thing".

Mallory's journey has lots of twists and turns and the ending is wonderfully done. I really liked that it was hopeful yet open-ended, because no one can figure everything out in just two weeks. Mallory's still got a ways to go, but she's off to an awesome start! And her list? (Did I mention how much she likes lists? In fact, every chapter begins with one.) I'm referring to the one that belonged to her grandmother. She's well on her way to crossing off each item by the time the last chapter rolls around. But it's getting herself there that's an uphill battle. Mallory's tough though, so she'll make it. And you'll have a great time right along with her! :)

A Favorite Passage:
"Not like now, where I go to the grocery store to buy herbal tea for my sick sister and the guy next to me starts discussing what flavor of Rice-A-Roni is best. Of course I answer chicken, only to find he's talking to his wife on one of the earpiece thingies. Then he gives me a weird look, like talking to the air is normal, and buys the beef flavor anyway.
Beef rice?
Honestly."
{Also, that is an awesome cover! The colors, the chairs, the record. I love it all.}



Toodle-loo kangaroos! Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. The best things about lists is being able to cross everything off. Nothing is fun about them otherwise. ;) This sounds like a good read. Methinks I am going to read it. :)

    Hooray for finding new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Rissi, list-making can be....fun! (All right, I admit I had to think a little bit on that one. ;) Although I will agree that being able to cross each thing off makes me feel very accomplished. Even if all I've done is read another book, that's an accomplishment right? :)

      It's a great story. I really do think that Ms. Leavitt writes teenagers really well. The fluctuating and confusing emotions. The bad decisions with good intentions. And lots of humor without any crudeness. Very sweet. I hope you do enjoy it! I'll be on the lookout for your thoughts on it someday. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked it!! I love this author and I can't wait to read more from her, I love her Princess for Hire series, really liked Sean G, and just now I'm waiting for my copy of Going Vintage to arrive :D

    Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it gets there soon Alex! I thought this was a fantastic follow-up to the awesomeness of Sean.

      I haven't read the Princess for Hire series yet. I keep thinking I need to, but they never seem to make it to the top of my list. Your endorsement will move them up I think! So thank you. :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds super cute! Loved the way you described it - plus your fave passage - I, too, dislike those phone ear-piece thingies - they are so annoying!!!

    By the way, what is the approx. age of the main character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Net, it is most certainly super cute! And YES on those ear piece thingies. They're too uncomfortable in my ear for me to ever use for one thing. And secondly, I have totally been where Mallory was, with hearing someone talk into their ear piece and answering them because it seemed like they were talking to me. Embarrassing and annoying both!

      As for her age? *pause while I go check* Found it! 16 years old.

      Also, thanks for the follow! I've been reading your blog for ages and love it. It's how I keep track of what new Hallmark movies are coming out. (And any others that look like fun too.) So helpful! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...