July 21, 2014

Comfort Reads I Love


Comfort reads - adj. a story that you love, which you can read and reread and reread over and over, yet you don't even have to read it for it to give comfort (i.e. just looking at it on your bookshelf gives you warm fuzzies)
You know those moments when life is crazy and chaotic, your mind is spinning hither and yon, and you just need a moment of peace? Of course, just sitting by your bookshelf looking at all those lovely covers helps tremendously! But you need to escape into a story, forgetting real life for a while...

So your hand reaches out and without even thinking about it, it lands on a certain book, pulling it off the shelf and into your line of sight. At that moment, when all else is driving you crazy, you know this book won't. You've read it a million times. You even know most of it by heart by now. You know the exact moment when the hero or heroine will discover the thing which has been driving them the entire narrative to find, or when the hero and heroine finally end up riding off into the sunset together, or when the child finally realizes how amazing his/her parents really are.

Whatever the plotlines, you know them well! They've sunk into your heart and there they remain. Yet you never tire of reading them again. Waiting with baited breath for the climactic moment to arrive just one more time...

Yes! Those books! They give you comfort when you need it most. I know I've mentioned a few times (or a lot of times!) in the last several months about how life has been chaotic for me. And how all the changes have driven me to seek out my comfort books. In fact, I wrote this post about how these sorts of books give you hugs. :)  And after reading this post written by the always lovely Amber, I decided it was high time to share my comfort reads with y'all! (I just know you've been waiting for this list, right? :)

So, without further ado, here are a few (or twenty, yes, this list is long so be warned) of my comfort reads. (In no particular order.)




Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster - Since I consider this story one of my absolute favorites ever, of course it's on this list! :)

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - I've had the kindle book for ages, but just recently picked up a paperback copy and reread it again. I LOVE this story! I mean, the guy falls for the girl based on her writing, he doesn't see what she actually looks like until very near the end of the book, after he's already fell for her. How awesome is that?!

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella - I'm not sure what it is about this story, but I've reread it multiple times and it never fails to make me smile. Sadie is fabulous!

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt - When I first read this one, I really liked it, but I never imagined it would grow to become one of my favorites. Yet multiple times have I picked it up just to reread Oliver's parts. He's quirky and amazing, and so great with Mallory. Their conversations are so much fun to read!

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen - Ms. Dessen has quickly become a favorite author of mine. Her characters are so easy to fall for! And watching Anabel come to understand herself better is just lovely.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - I love this story from the opening scene to the final word! It has spent a great deal of time sitting on my nightstand, letting me reread my favorite scenes so I can go to sleep with happy in my head. :) Hadley's (and Oliver's!) journey is wonderful and always gets me in the heart. Loveliness abounds in this story!

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen - Macy. Wes. READ IT! Enough said.

Court Duel by Sherwood Smith - I wrote this post on my love of Mel. Read it and maybe you'll understand. ;)


Leaving Carolina by Tamara Leigh - Piper Wick is awesome. I want an Uncle Obe of my own. And Axel is awfully sigh-worthy. A combo worth reading over and over! :D

Splitting Harriet by Tamara Leigh - I think I could about recite every single plotline in this story I've read it so many times. I never, ever get tired of it! Harri is spectacular, Maddox is hard to ignore, and watching these two circle each other is beyond fun! Harri's journey to find herself is so real and relatable. I love her to pieces!

My Hands Came Away Red by Lisa McKay - I know, I know. I've only told you about this story a million times. But seriously! If you haven't read this one, read it! IT'S AMAZING!

Ruby's Slippers by Leanna Ellis - A retelling of The Wizard of Oz? (Kind of anyway. In a modern setting.) Definitely worth reading! I love Dottie. And Leo is just the right kind of shaking up in her life that she needs.

An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers - Phenomenal series!!! And book two is my favorite. But the entire series is worth reading!

Moon Over Tokyo by Siri L. Mitchell - There's just something about Allie that I connect with. And now I really want to visit Japan!

The Colonel's Lady by Laura Frantz - Ms. Frantz is an amazing writer! And this story just gets me in the heart every single time. I love it whole bunches! You should read it. Really! You should!

On Sparrow Hill by Maureen Lang - I love books that combine a present story as well as a historical one. Both Berrie and Rebecca are so wonderfully relatable and watching both of them find their way is an excellent way to spend a few hours! I've reread this one countless times. It's another one that spends a great deal of time on my nightstand. :)

Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter - I fell in love with this story from the first moment I read it. Therefore, you should read it and fall in love as well! :D

You Had Me at Goodbye by Tracey Bateman - Another one I can't really explain why I love it so much. But I do. Dancy's life is so vastly different than mine, but she's just so much fun to read about!

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones - Finley. Beckett. And Ireland. No more words necessary.

Mending Places by Denise Hunter - This story gets me in the gut every single time I read it! The twist Ms. Hunter throws in near the end is heart-wrenchingly good. And watching Hannah and Micah deal with it....yeah, you definitely need to read this one if you haven't already.


Okay then! We're finally at the end! (Of this list anyway. There are so many more I could have added. Perhaps another post someday?) And you know, after writing about all these stories, I now have this uncontrollable urge to rush home to my bookshelves and reread them all again. They're just that good! :D I love comfort reads. They simply make me happy. What about you? :)



2 comments:

  1. You've got some winners and pretties in this post - right on, Kara. Love anything from Jenny (excited that she's back to writing) and of course I'm a huge fan of Barefoot Summer. I've been considering reading Sarah Dessen for a while now, but... something has held me back - or maybe it's just my pile of review novels. ;)

    I'd probably add Susan May Warren or Becky Wade and who knows who else!

    Fabulous post, Kara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rissi! :)

      Such a huge fan of Barefoot Summer myself! I just never seem to get tired of that book. And oh! Sarah Dessen is a wonderful writer! I hope you get a chance to try one of her stories someday.

      Oooo, yes! Becky Wade for sure. And Susan May Warren! Can't believe I forgot to mention her. Ah well. My list was rather lengthy as it is....

      Thanks for reading. And commenting! Much appreciated. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...