January 19, 2013

Review: Mothership by Martin Leicht & Isla Neal

Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1)
Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe #1)

About the Book:

Elvie Nara was doing just fine in the year 2074. She had a great best friend, a dad she adored, and bright future working on the Ares Project on Mars. But then she had to get involved with sweet, gorgeous, dumb-as-a-brick Cole--and now she’s pregnant.

Getting shipped off to the Hanover School for Expecting Teen Mothers was not how Elvie imagined spending her junior year, but she can go with the flow. That is, until a team of hot commandos hijacks the ship--and one of them turns out to be Cole. She hasn’t seen him since she told him she’s pregnant, and now he’s bursting into her new home to tell her that her teachers are aliens and want to use her unborn baby to repopulate their species? Nice try, buddy. You could have just called.

So fine, finding a way off this ship is priority number one, but first Elvie has to figure out how Cole ended up as a commando, work together with her arch-nemesis, and figure out if she even wants to be a mother--assuming they get back to Earth in one piece.


My Thoughts:

Interesting. That's the first word that pops into my head when trying to describe this book. Very interesting. If the description above sounds kind of weird, well....that pretty much describes this book to a T. It's not a bad story, it's just different. I saw it at the library and remembered that I had seen some reviews for it that had intrigued me, so I decided to try it. I wasn't expecting to be blown away mind you, so I'm not complaining. The basics of what didn't work for me is really the relationship between Elvie and Cole. Cole is just as described, gorgeous but dumb-as-a-brick. Really! He clearly is missing a few marbles and also keeping quite a lot of secrets from Elvie, but because he's so hot, she forgives him really quickly. Oh, she does show a little anger at his deceptions (which are major deceptions in my mind!), but it isn't long before she's quite willing to forgive and forget (at least forget as much as she's able as she's carrying his child). It's a case of insta-love, or insta-lust more like, and I could never really figure out exactly how they supposedly "fell in love". And since their relationship is the instigator for the whole scenario, I wasn't exactly thrilled with where the story took me. But I do have to give credit to the authors! They obviously had this future world planned out and they do a great job of explaining who is who and what they want with Elvie and the other mother's-to-be. The spaceship school they're on is quite large and as they navigate around in it, I could easily picture where they were.

It's not difficult following where the authors' lead you; their writing is well done. They also nicely set up for the next book without leaving you with a terrible cliffhanger. Which I really appreciated! (I'm not a huge fan of big cliffhangers when it's going to be ages before the next book comes out.) So essentially, there is nothing wrong with this book if you enjoy a fast-paced scifi insta-love romance. It may be right up your alley! As for me, I'm not planning on reading the rest of the series. 

A Passage For You:
"I duck behind the door and try to hide the best someone can with a fetus jutting out her front end. I don't know who these dudes are, and I can't see their faces, but I know for a fact that they weren't on board ten minutes ago. The faculty doesn't pack heat. They usually stick with demerits. Which means that the L.O.C. Echidna is under attack. 
Lights flickering, intercom crackling, I suddenly realize. Everyone else is on the lido deck doing underwater prenatal yoga except me."

 Toodle-loo kangaroos!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you liked it!! this one is on my Wishlist and I'm glad to hear it's good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be anxious to hear what you think about it! It's just so different from anything else out there. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...