July 19, 2013

Bite-Sized Reviews :: Edition Four

Another round of snacky reviews! For more info, see previous editions. :) Now on to the books!

Beauty
Beauty by Robin McKinley

I can see why this is such a popular book. It's just so cute! Beauty is level-headed (about everything but herself) and unafraid to stand up for what she thinks is right. The Beast is terrible-looking but kind and gentle. He is so patient! I loved how he treated Beauty. Whatever he may have been like once upon a time, he is such a good "man" now. They slowly get to know one another, which I appreciated. For most fairy tales don't really allow their characters that possibility! I loved having a more indepth look at this fairy tale and it did not disappoint in the least. Definitely one to have on the keeper shelf! :)

Rating: A Chocolate Croissant (different than you were expecting but oh so yummy)


Love and Other Perishable Items
Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo

Bittersweet. That's the first word that comes to mind. But more sweet than bitter! The pain of growing up is not fun. It definitely hurts sometimes! But Amelia is resilient and young. And she's strong. Way stronger than she knows, but she's learning. When you find people you connect with, you want to hold them close. But when you're only 15 and the guy is 21, that's a significant age difference. Chris and Amelia know their reality, but knowing and accepting are different things. Accepting is not easy. This is their journey to reach that goal. Sometimes painful, sometimes awkward, and sometimes cute, their journey feels real and human. Because we all know that growing up is hard, yet everybody has to do it.

Rating: Peanut Brittle (sweet and salty)


The Ashford Affair
The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig

Well! Where to begin? Cons: the drama. Oh the dramatics these people were capable of! No one was truly "good" and most straddled the line between good guy and bad guy with most of their body on the bad guy side. The intentions and actions of the characters made sure none of them were very good role models. Pros: Ms. Willig's writing. Because goodness she's a great writer! She kept me hooked into a story that was going places I didn't really like, but I couldn't stop reading. I had to know what was going to happen next! And the story had lots of twists and turns I wasn't expecting. I also really liked that it has contemporary characters and historical characters, and we get both stories all in one. Her Pink Carnation series is the same and I love that! But overall, I'm not sure I'd really recommend this book. It's sort of like a train wreck, you just can't look away once you come upon it.

Rating: Store-Bought Cookies (they look better than they taste, yet you eat them anyway)




6 comments:

  1. Yes! Another gushing review of Beauty. Sounds like a charmer of a read, so I will have to make time for it if nothing else. ;)

    Thanks for making me more curious, Kara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Rissi! ;) It really is a sweet story. Well worth reading!

      Delete
  2. I think that's one reason I've always liked the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale especially well -- they do have the chance to get to know each other. They don't dance at one party and then get married, or get kissed while they're 'dead,' wake up, and get married. It's a little more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette- Exactly! It's definitely more realistic than other fairy tales. Especially since he is a 'beast', if they had moved any quicker, I don't think it really would have worked at all. We can imagine girls falling for a prince, but falling for a beast immediately? Not so much.

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read any of McKinley's works, but it sounds like I need to start with this one. I'm a sucker for ANY sweet fairy tale, but I do like the idea of Beauty and the Beast being more realistic. I'd never thought about it like that !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluerose, it really was a very fun story. I'd definitely recommend this one. I really liked how it depicted the Beast. And I loved the build up of their relationship! So sweet! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...