July 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Endings in Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week is a new topic/discussion that focuses on the bookish side of things.
Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books (talk about books that started or ended just perfectly or with a bang OR you could do specific opening lines or last lines -- however you want to do it!)
 
I haven't ever joined in with this meme before, but I thought this topic sounded like fun. So here I am! And here is my list of books with excellent endings:

1. The Last Battle ~ C.S. Lewis - "All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before." - An excellent ending to an excellent series!

2. Persuasion ~ Jane Austen - "I can listen no longer in silence...You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." - Such a beautiful letter that precedes such a beautiful scene!

3. Mending Places ~ Denise Hunter - "It won't be easy, this relationship...we'll have things to deal with. I know. There'll be pain and fear and guilt and- Forgiveness. Yes. Forgiveness. It's a good start." - A hard-won forgiveness that mends a tattered relationship and gives them the courage to continue on. An awe-inspiring moment!

4. The Thief ~ Megan Whalen Turner - A surprising ending (that I refuse to spoil, sorry) which turned what I thought was a mediocre read into an awesome read! Which then leads to three more awesome stories! (And more besides hopefully.)

5. Wounded Healer ~ Donna Fleisher - "Chris didn't know how to give hugs. Or how to receive them. She never had. But she learned quickly. She simply did what Erin did and held on. Closing her eyes, for that moment, she felt more alive than she had ever felt in her life." - Once you read Chris' story, you will see what a huge milestone that small moment really is!

6. Daddy-Long-Legs ~ Jean Webster - "Doesn't it seem queer for me to belong to some one at last? It seems very, very sweet. And I shall never let you be sorry for a single instant." - Ah Judy. Such a wonderful end to her story. You knew I'd include this one, didn't you? After all my ruminations on how it's my favorite book?

7. There You'll Find Me ~ Jenny B. Jones - "Hold on to it, Finley." Beckett reaches for my string. But it's too late. I let it go." - She's on her way forward again instead of stuck on one place. A significant moment for Finley!

8. The Truth About Forever ~ Sarah Dessen - "But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now." - I love this story! Macy struggles through so much of it and that finally clarity is wonderful.

9. My Hands Came Away Red ~ Lisa McKay - "There's not going to be a neat point when I can type the last word, hit save, and proclaim, "It's complete."......I can't really have either extreme though....I'm working on a new normal." - That new normal was a formidable and painful journey to reach. But what an incredible story they have to tell!

10. Barefoot Summer ~ Denise Hunter - "Home. That's what it was. It felt like home." - My newest favorite book! Rereading my favorite parts feels like home to me. I love Beckett and Madison's happy ending!

What are some of your favorite endings?



28 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this! I agree about The Last Battle, Persuasion, Daddy-Long-Legs, and The Thief (since those are the ones I've read. I do want to read the rest of those you listed though. And I want to do this list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyssa! I hope you do a list of your own, I'd love to read it. :) I had fun going through my shelves and pulling out my favorites! :D

      Delete
  2. I need to read some Sarah Dessen books! Everyone has been ushering me to read them, but I never seem to pick them up. Maybe this is the push I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Sofia! I highly recommend The Truth About Forever. It's definitely my favorite. :)

      Delete
  3. Narnia's ending was so baffling for me. I did not get it at all, haha! XD Liked the books a lot nevertheless.

    Happy reading!
    My TTT
    My DESIGNS blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that series, Ula. C.S. Lewis' writing is wonderful. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I got Barefoot Summer from the library on your recommendation--plan on reading it next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Karen! I hope you enjoy it. I'll keep an eye out for your review. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love the ending of Persuasion. That's a book I have not read. Thanks for sharing it and your other ending lines.

    Here's my list of favorite first lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persuasion is wonderful, Deb! You should read it some day. Thank you so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. I've experienced 1,2, and 4, and I have to agree!! And the others are great rec's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those fabulous, Susan? This was a fun list to write. :)

      Delete
  7. I also put The Truth About Forever on my list - so beautiful and the most inspiring way to end a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, booksteame! Such a wonderfully written story. SO inspiring! :)

      Delete
  8. I've never fully read any of these, but it looks like some nice endings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these stories, Grace. It was so fun going through my shelves and picking them out! :)

      Delete
  9. The Truth About Forever ending is fantastic, it's one of my favorite Sarah Dessen books! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/07/29/lines/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Alice! Such a wonderful story. I never get tired of reading it. :)

      Delete
  10. Love your #1...I loved the series and don't remember the end to the Last Battle. Very happy, bright blog--complimenti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Chikadee! I've been working to get a look for my blog that I really liked and I think I've found it. Happy you liked it! :)

      C.S. Lewis' series is wonderful, isn't it? Definitely a favorite of mine. :)

      Delete
  11. Interesting idea! Hmm, I'll have to think on this. Actually, I might do a post about books whose endings I didn't like! That could be fun too. Oh, Kara, there you go again, giving me blog post ideas! We'll see if I pull either of these off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Happy to help, Hamlette! Anytime. ;P

      But I hadn't thought about a list of endings I don't like. Hmmmm. I might see another post in my future also! :D

      Delete
  12. You picked some really awesome ones!! :D
    I loved the one for persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! The ending to Persuasion is simply wonderful, isn't it? *sigh* ;)

      Delete
  13. The line from The Last Battle is moving. Narnia is a powerful series!
    I've been hearing great things about Barefoot Summer. I need to check it out.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, Narnia is a very powerful series! It's definitely become a favorite. And I just love that last line. So incredible. Love that word picture it leaves in my mind.

      You should definitely read Barefoot Summer! It is simply delightful! In my opinion anyway. ;)

      Thanks for coming by! I've enjoyed chatting with you the last few weeks. :)

      Delete
  14. Aw, so fun - and this ties in so nicely with your "opening lines" post from earlier this summer, Kara. :)

    Yay for all the Denise Hunter love. (WANT. BOOK. TWO. of Chapel Springs.) And, of course, I am in like with Jenny B. Jones books. She is one talented funny lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, Rissi! It was fun to think of my favorites this way.

      I cannot wait for book two either!!! Why is next year so far away?! ;) And you are so right, Jenny B Jones is extremely talented. Her books are simply delightful!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...