July 11, 2013

Children's Stories I Loved


Children are made readers in the laps of their parents. 
~ Emilie Buchwald

No doubt we've all seen this quote somewhere. If you're on Pinterest at all, I'm positive you have! :) I do think that it's a true statement. Oh there might be some exceptions to that rule, but for the most part if you read to a child, they'll probably continue enjoying it as they grow.

I know it was sure true of me! I can remember this orange couch (that ugly orange color from the 70s) that was just big enough for my mother to sit in the middle with me on one side and my brother on the other. I believe we'd get to choose books some evenings and other times mom chose for us. Either way, come bedtime, down we'd plop and mom would read. I loved those moments. Such great memories we made! I'm incredibly thankful to my mother for taking that time with us when we were young.

I love when I go visit one of my brothers, or to a friend's home, and listen to them reading to their children. Or when I go to my cousin's house and his children beg me to sit and read to them! Such precious moments together. I can also remember a few years back when my oldest niece was finally big enough to read by herself. That Christmas when the whole family was together, I peeped in on the kids in another room and there they were. All seven of them gathered around as my niece read to them. It was such a sweet picture!

Telling stories to children and watching their eyes light up, listening as they talk about what you're reading, hearing them later imagine themselves into the story. Firing up their imaginations!

And as they get older, then they graduate to bigger books and longer stories and yeah. I could drone on and on about how awesome it is to see children reading. To watch them grow up loving to read. (I happen to have a nephew who loves reading almost as much as I. Nooo, of course he isn't my favorite. Aunts don't have favorites. But I do admit that I love that about him! ;)

Children and stories simply make a great combination! So I thought I'd list a few of my favorite books as a child. At least the ones I can remember. :)





So there you have it. Just a small look at some of my favorites. I'm sure if I took the time, I could make a very long list! But I won't do that to you. :) What were some of your favorite books as a child?



10 comments:

  1. LOVED The Little House books, Beezus and Ramona, and Anne of Green Gables when I was younger--and still do. Timeless classics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are timeless, aren't they? I think no matter how old I am I will love those stories. Thanks Rebeka! :)

      Delete
  2. The "Berenstain Bears" were ones I liked too!

    I enjoyed it when my mother read to my siblings and me when I was younger. There was this one book we used to ask her to read more than once!
    Before I could read I used to just make up stories out of the pictures fom picture books, but then I learned to read and the first book I read through was a Dr. Seuss story, "Green Eggs and Ham." How far I've come, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I read the Berenstain Bears constantly when I was little! I always liked the little poem at the beginning of each book. :)

      I remember making up stories for picture books as well! I'm sure they didn't make any sense to anyone else but me, but I loved to imagine all kinds of things. Green Eggs and Ham is still a fun story to read out loud! :D

      Delete
  3. Anne of Green Gables, the Little House books, the American Girl books -- yes! And the Ramona and Henry books, definitely. I also loved the Indian in the Cupboard books by Lynne Reid Banks.

    For picture books, I loved Dr. Seuss, the Berenstain Bears, the Clifford books by Norman Bridwell, and so many others.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hamlette! :)

      I almost included The Indian in the Cupboard but decided my list was long enough. That was another of my favorites! And Clifford, how could I forget him? Loved him and Emily Elizabeth.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the Beverly Cleary books and read a ton of Babysitter's Club. My cousin had so many of the Berenstain Bears so I have read a bunch of those and enjoy them too. She shared them with Caleb when he started reading. I have never enjoyed Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, I have a friend who has never liked Dr. Seuss either. So you're not alone! :) I've just always liked his stories. Rhyming nonsense made me laugh and I loved to read them out loud.

      Oh yes! The Babysitter's Club-I loved those! I think I may have had about the entire series at one point. They were well-loved at my house, I always wanted to start my own club. It sounded like so much fun! :D

      Delete
  5. Great post Kara! Have you by any chance read the latest issue of Femnista? It was all about our favourite children and youth literature. I think almost as awesome as seeing children reading is hearing adults talk about the best books they read when young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, Birdienl. I'll have to check it out! I usually keep on top of those. Thanks for the reminder! :)

      I so agree with your last statement. I love it too! Children's books are so fun and adventurous.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...