Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week is a new topic/discussion that focuses on the bookish side of things.
Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books (talk about books that started or ended just perfectly or with a bang OR you could do specific opening lines or last lines -- however you want to do it!)
I haven't ever joined in with this meme before, but I thought this topic sounded like fun. So here I am! And here is my list of books with excellent endings:
1. The Last Battle ~ C.S. Lewis - "All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before." - An excellent ending to an excellent series!
2. Persuasion ~ Jane Austen - "I can listen no longer in silence...You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." - Such a beautiful letter that precedes such a beautiful scene!
3. Mending Places ~ Denise Hunter - "It won't be easy, this relationship...we'll have things to deal with. I know. There'll be pain and fear and guilt and- Forgiveness. Yes. Forgiveness. It's a good start." - A hard-won forgiveness that mends a tattered relationship and gives them the courage to continue on. An awe-inspiring moment!
4. The Thief ~ Megan Whalen Turner - A surprising ending (that I refuse to spoil, sorry) which turned what I thought was a mediocre read into an awesome read! Which then leads to three more awesome stories! (And more besides hopefully.)
5. Wounded Healer ~ Donna Fleisher - "Chris didn't know how to give hugs. Or how to receive them. She never had. But she learned quickly. She simply did what Erin did and held on. Closing her eyes, for that moment, she felt more alive than she had ever felt in her life." - Once you read Chris' story, you will see what a huge milestone that small moment really is!
6. Daddy-Long-Legs ~ Jean Webster - "Doesn't it seem queer for me to belong to some one at last? It seems very, very sweet. And I shall never let you be sorry for a single instant." - Ah Judy. Such a wonderful end to her story. You knew I'd include this one, didn't you? After all my ruminations on how it's my favorite book?
7. There You'll Find Me ~ Jenny B. Jones - "Hold on to it, Finley." Beckett reaches for my string. But it's too late. I let it go." - She's on her way forward again instead of stuck on one place. A significant moment for Finley!
8. The Truth About Forever ~ Sarah Dessen - "But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now." - I love this story! Macy struggles through so much of it and that finally clarity is wonderful.
9. My Hands Came Away Red ~ Lisa McKay - "There's not going to be a neat point when I can type the last word, hit save, and proclaim, "It's complete."......I can't really have either extreme though....I'm working on a new normal." - That new normal was a formidable and painful journey to reach. But what an incredible story they have to tell!
10. Barefoot Summer ~ Denise Hunter - "Home. That's what it was. It felt like home." - My newest favorite book! Rereading my favorite parts feels like home to me. I love Beckett and Madison's happy ending!
What are some of your favorite endings?