September 17, 2014

Explaining My TBR Pile...

via
I think a year or more ago, I wrote a post comparing my moods and what I read. I'm too lazy to go searching for it now, but I know it was quite a while ago. So I decided that made it okay to venture into this topic again! Sorta.

Really, what sparked the thoughts in my head were a few things that happened recently.
  1. I saw a friend of mine in Barnes and Noble the other night and in the midst of me recommending this book and that book to her and her recommending this book and that book to me, I mentioned how I'd heard of several books, wanted to read them sometime, but it hadn't happened yet. I think I said something along the lines of "Do you ever not feel in the mood to read a certain book? Like you really want to, but you can't get any enthusiasm for it right this second? So you keep looking at it and thinking about it and planning for that someday when you actually will read it, because you'll be in the mood?" She very kindly responded, "I have no idea what on earth you're talking about, you crazy person." (It must just be me then.)
  2. I finally read Cress (which I had been anticipating for an entire year when I purchased it) a few weeks ago, after having it in my possession for months and months and months.
  3. I took a look at my bookshelves recently and realized that I have loads of books that I haven't read yet. I see people talking about one measly shelf of to-reads? I'm thinking I have a double-stacked shelf-full, if not an entire bookcase! (They're all spread out, so I haven't actually counted.)
  4. Liane mentioned via twitter, that she's been hesitating to read certain books (which she probably has very valid and reasonable logic for) and I thought, "Man, does that sound familiar." (while I do not have valid and reasonable logic at all).
The dealie-bob is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with these books. (Else they wouldn't be on my bookshelf, now would they?) They truly sound all kinds of awesome to read. So why haven't I read any of them yet? That......is a very excellent question.

When I see them in the store, I'm terribly excited to read them. That's why they make their way in my arms up to the cash register, into a bag, into my car, and then onto my bookshelf. So what changes between picking it off the store shelf and placing it on mine? And it's also true of books that I do not own yet! I look at them in the store and really want to read them sometime. So why don't I? Why do I leave them there? Why do I hesitate? Why does my mood change?

Especially when it comes to a story I'm really excited about? Where does my enthusiasm go? Take Cress for instance. It was just as much fun as I'd anticipated it would be, yet I procrastinated for months before I finally read it clear through. And I knew the entire time while I was hesitating, that I was bound to really enjoy it! So what gives?
  1. I like to wait forever before reading awesome books? {absolutely not}
  2. I'm too lazy? {um....maybe}
  3. Fear that my anticipation and hope would be disappointed and let down? {quite possibly}
  4. I just like the feeling of hope and anticipation of a wonderful story? {getting warmer, I think}
  5. I have absolutely no idea at all. {bingo}
I cannot explain it. I only know it's true.

But the happy truth is! I do whittle down my TBR pile. Very slowly sometimes, but it happens nonetheless. Whatever my mood, this one fact remains the same. I. LOVE. TO. READ.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book. When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. ~ Jane Austen

 
 

10 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD EXACTLY. I just wrote a post about this, too. I curated my library, and I realized I had somewhere around a dozen books that I owned and never read! The only excuse I could create was that I finished my Bachelor's last December, and reading never fit between working and schoolwork. But still, some of these I've have since before I started school, so I don't know what my problem is. :-) Some books I think I was just intimidated by. I've loved Tolkien for years, but I waited forever to read the books. Same with Austen. I guess maybe I was worried about their (somewhat) length? Again, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting to read Tolkien actually. But there's a deadline for me to read The Hobbit, so I hope to read it really soon. Then I can finally say I've read one of his books! Because I've been wanting to for years, but have been slightly intimidated. So I understand that feeling well, Joanna! :)

      Isn't it crazy how that TBR pile gets crazy large? You'd think that with the books right there in front of me, I'd read them.... ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Maybe we should start a club or something, Hannah? TBR piles anonymous! ;)

      Delete
  3. "Do you ever not feel in the mood to read a certain book? Like you really want to, but you can't get any enthusiasm for it right this second? So you keep looking at it and thinking about it and planning for that someday when you actually will read it, because you'll be in the mood?"<--- This is similar to me. I have books I want to read, but I put them off for a later time. So you're not the only one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, Grace! I don't know why I put them off, but it's so great to know I'm not alone in that. My friend I mentioned clearly had no idea how I could do that. Which is understandable since I don't understand it myself! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes, that never ending TBR - and your explanation of your shelf? Yep, that is SO me. I'm hoping this winter to be really disciplined and get reading some of those bought books I've never read. *puts on determined face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send some of that determination my way, Rissi! Cause I'm sure going to need it. But yes. I really want to stop adding to my shelf and not reading them, and actually read them for a change! We can do this! Yes we can! :D

      Delete
  5. This is so me. I have 4 shelves of TBRs. That's almost a whole bookcase. It's horrible. And thrilling! Why have I owned some books for 7 or more years but not read them yet? Not in the right mood. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it, Hamlette! Not in the right mood. But someday we will be! So on my shelf those books are staying, just waiting for the right moment. Because it will come! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...