August 11, 2014

Review: The Good Girl by Christy Barritt

17662511
Who reads two murder mysteries late at night? Me. Yes, I would not recommend it. Especially this one. Read it during the day. Because creepy houses? Feel even creepier when you're reading about them at 2am. But at 2pm or any other time while it's daylight outside, you shouldn't hesitate to pick this one up! ;)

For some reason, I'd had this one on my kindle for several weeks and hadn't read it. But once I did, it kept me hooked in and refused to let me put it down and go to sleep. It's really that good! Once again, Ms. Barritt's characters are fabulous. Full of quirks and fears and thoughts, each one feels so real. And even the side characters are fun! Candy is awesome. Cooper is sigh-worthy. And Tara? She's learning all about who she really is, about getting rid of the fake shell she's always shown the world and finding her true self hidden inside. And her butterfly moments are sweet and worth waiting for.

Of course the cute romance won me over. It's subtle and slow, which is exactly what Tara needs. And oh those moments it shows up are pretty great! But the true momentum of the story is really Tara's journey. Watching her grow more solid in who she is and what she believes is wonderful. As well as her realizations that those fears and doubts are okay. That they're normal and they push us to seek truth.

The sweet and fun moments do happen in amongst the seriousness of "haunted" houses and tarnished reputations! Ms. Barritt absolutely knows how to keep you turning pages and laughing even amidst the tension. So if you want a page-turning, laughter-inducing, edge-of-your-seat story, I highly recommend trying this one. It's fabulous! :)

Now, I have my own sayings. One is that life is like a beautiful apple. Sometimes you don't know it's rotten until you bite into it. Other days, I thought life was like the solid wood coffee table that my uncle fell on--revealing it was actually made of particleboard, thus my saying, "You never know what you're made of until you're broken."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...