December 2, 2012

8 o'clock (Wherein Kara Has An Adventure!)

December Photo A Day Challenge: Everyday people all around the world look at the list, and take a photo according to the date. So on the 1st of December we’ll take a photo at 8 o’clock {am or pm, doesn’t matter}. So whatever you’re doing when the clock strikes 8 – take a photo. And then share it. Then upload it to Facebook {your own page, or my Facebook page}, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, your blog, Tumblr – where ever you please. If you’re sharing to Instagram or Twitter – use the hashtag #FMSphotoaday.
I decided to try a challenge this month. I'm not certain I'll be able to keep it up every single day, but there's no pressure to do so. So if I miss some days, oh well. Today's was to take a photo at 8 am or pm, whichever you prefer. Since I was still abed at 8 am (not sleeping mind you, just being lazy!), I chose tonight. Which was considerably much more interesting! :) Also I'm showing off three pictures instead of one, because it turns out that I couldn't take a picture at exactly 8 pm, but I could before and after! :) And you get a story of how my evening progressed too. Aren't you excited? I know y'all just love my stories and how I babble on and on. :D

As I have mentioned before, I volunteered to help out with a Christmas tradition at an area church. I have to dress up and lead people through the story of Christmas. Since at 8 pm exactly I would be in the middle of this, I did not think I would be able to take a photo. (They didn't have cameras in Biblical times, and I'm to stay in character!) So, the above pic is me before, around 5:30. Notice how dry and comfy I look. I didn't stay that way.

This one is those of us waiting outside the entry tent with the lanterns, for our turn to go around. By this time, around 6:30 to 7, it had started to sprinkle somewhat, but nothing too major. The first 5 groups headed out before mine and when our turn came all was going well. (Actually I botched some lines again but we won't think about that.)

So off we headed with our "little" group of 25 people or so! I say it that way because they told us there were two families waiting for more people to come, and when they all arrived we would probably only have 10 or 12 people total. As I was still stressing a little about remembering all my lines, this sounded great to me! Well. A few more people showed up. About 1/3 of the way around, it started to sprinkle. Then halfway through it pretty much was raining steadily and stayed like that the rest of the way around.

Do you wear glasses? Do you know what glasses are like when it's raining? And you don't have any way to wipe them off? And it's dark? There's hardly any light, and you're the person in charge of leading these people behind you in the right direction? And you're getting wetter and wetter, because they have umbrellas of course, they're modern people. But're not modern. At least not tonight, and when you're supposed to have lived, umbrellas weren't invented yet! So you have no handy dandy covering keeping you dry. And you can't stop, you have to keep going until you've been to all the stations.

Well, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I got wet. Extremely wet. My costume was totally soaked, the lovely little headdress thing was clinging to my face, and I could barely hear my fellow drenched puppies when they were saying their lines. Ah the memories! :)

Needless to say there were no more people waiting in line, so I got to go home once we made it all the way to the end. (By now it's around 8 but I had no desire to take a picture, I just wanted to be home and dry, in that exact order!) I had to bring my costume home too (usually I left it there). Actually I just wore it home, it was too wet to attempt to take it off there and they wanted me to wash it. Here it is all hanging up to dry, because I don't have a washer and dryer in my apartment, so it'll have to get washed another day. You can't really tell, but it is soaking wet. And I do mean soaking! When I turned the heater on in my car for the drive home, I'm pretty sure I steamed all the windows single-handedly within seconds!

It was absolutely an adventure, and everyone was still smiling through the rain dripping down their faces at the end. Even me! But now I'm dry and typing away in bed. Definitely a much better feeling! It was quite fun. But a fun I'd prefer not to repeat anytime soon! :D

So there you go. Three pictures for the price of one and a story too! Y'all are so lucky. :)

Toodle-loo kangaroos! Hope your Saturday evening was much drier than mine! :)


  1. Oh, yes, glasses and rain just don't mix! Sorry to hear that you had a soggy night, but I don't blame you a bit for wanting to get home and get dry and cozy.

    1. It just means that I certainly won't forget doing this any time soon! :) I suppose I'll have a good story to tell my family at Christmas. haha!


Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...